Costco return policy is the best in the industry and a lot of consumers can attest to that. Consumers will always feel confident shopping at Costco knowing that if they are not satisfied, they can always return the merchandise for a full refund even without a receipt. I can assume that just by checking your membership card, they can tell if you purchase the item or not.
However, there has been a lot of changes made on Costco’s return policy, especially for electronics, because of the abuse Costco has endured. As an example, before the year 2007, computers had a six month return policy but now it is down to just 90 days.
5 Things You Should Know About The Costco Return Policy
1. Costco Membership Fee Return Policy
Costco has really been very generous in ensuring that the customers are satisfied with their membership. As stated in the Costco return policy, Costco will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are not satisfied with it. This is a win win situation for consumers.
- Getting Free Costco Membership – I have heard people recommending this to other consumers as one way to get a free membership: Shop at Costco for 364 days and enjoy the savings and then cancel the membership o the 365th day and receive a refund. Although unethical in nature, it is actually legal. Of course, Costco will get you one way or another if you try to sign up again in just a couple of months.
2. Costco Return Policy on Merchandise
As mentioned earlier, Costco guarantees your satisfaction on every product with a full refund. If you return the merchandise within a reasonable time, Costco will accept those returns and provide you a full refund. I heard consumers returning items even after two or three years of use but that was back in the days when the Costco return policy was still very generous. However, I’m not sure if you can do this on electronic items since the store has implemented the 90 day return policy in order to get a full refund for the following electronic items: computers,projectors, televisions, MP3 players, camcorders, touch screen tablets, cameras and cellular phones. After the 90 days, the electronics will still be covered by the 2 year warranty for defects.
For members returning diamonds over 1 carat or larger, they must also present all original paperwork (IGI and/or GIA certificates) at which time they will receive a Jewelry Credit Memo. Within 48 hours, a Costco Graduate Gemologist will inspect the diamonds for authenticity.
For alcohol and cigarettes, Costco does not accept returns of these products where prohibited by law.
- Warning – You Can Be Flagged For Returning Too Many Items - Because of the abuse of the Costco return policy, some consumers who have a very high merchandise returns may be flagged by Costco. When this happens, Costco may not accept those returns anymore. As good as this is, some consumers have really a legitimate reason for returning the items especially if they are defective.
3. Costco Trade In Policy On Electronics
If you don’t know it yet, Costco offers a Trade In Program for electronics merchandise bought at Costco. The program is administered through Gazelle. You can receive a Costco Cash Card for the current value of your used electronics. The process is really simple as you can go to the website to find the value of your electronics such as computers,projectors, televisions, MP3 players, camcorders, touch screen tablets, cameras and cellular phones and then ship in your items (shipping is free or paid for by Costco). Costco will then send you a Costco Cash Card for the total value of your used electronics.
4. Special Costco Return Policy on Items Delivered (Ordered Online)
If you order your merchandise online, you can return those items at any Costco store. However, if your ordered items are delivered to you, here are the procedures that you have to follow when returning those items:
- If you request an item be picked up for return, the item must be packaged and available for pick up in the same manner as it was delivered.
- If your order was delivered “curb side”, it will need to be available for curb side pick up.
- If the item arrived to you in a box, it will need to be in a box at the time of pick up.
5. Costco’s Lifetime Return Policy Only Applies To Actual Members
Although you can shop at Costco without a membership, one of the drawbacks in doing so is that the lifetime Costco return policy only applies to members. A good example is an article at Consumerist where a consumer was trying to return a ten year old luggage with a lifetime warranty but the warranty was not granted since he was not a member.
- Just my two cents: So you need to think twice if you are buying gifts to your family and friends who are non-Costco members. If the merchandise has a lifetime warranty, they cannot avail of that warranty themselves even if they kept the receipt. You may be better off buying it at a non-membership stores and provide the receipt to the recipient so they can avail of the lifetime warranty on the product.
So what about you? What can you say about the Costco return policy? Do you think it is really the best and you are getting a good deal? Please share us your experiences when you return items at Costco!
- How to get free membership at Costco
- 5 Ways to shop at Costco without being a member
- Where to find Costco Membership discounts
- How to become a member of Costco: 4 Ways to Sign-up
- How to save at least 20% on your next restaurant and entertainment using Costco
- Costco American Express Card: A Few Things You Need to Know or Watch Out For
- Shopping At Costco: The Good and the Ugly
- Costco Return Policy: 5 Things You Need to Know
- Why Buy Tires At Costco