This scholarship was established in honor of Maria Elena Yuchengco, who graduated summa cum laude from University of San Francisco and was instrumental in the founding of Filipinas Magazine. The scholarship is awarded by the Asia Pacific fund for eligible student who has at least 50% Filipino heritage and is pursuing a degree in Journalism.
- Number of awards: 1-3
- Amount: $1,000-3,000
- Renewable? Yes
- Grade level: Incoming freshman or current, full-time undergraduate at an accredited four-year college or university in 2014-15
- Major or Career: Journalism
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Ethnic heritage: Filipino (at least 50%)
- Financial need
- Status: U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
- Residency: San Francisco Bay Area
Documents Needed For The Application:
- Completed student application form
- Most recent transcript(s) of grades (including grading scale); unofficial transcripts are OK
- Resume (include work experience, school activities, community service, honors & awards)
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from a current teacher or professor
- Letters should be on official school or organization letter head and must include the student’s first and last name.
- Writing sample (journalism work preferred)
- 3 to10 finalists will be chosen.
- Finalists must be avail able for a 30 – minute interview in late April in the San Francisco Bay Area (dates TBD).
- If chosen, finalists must submit official transcript(s) of grades,
- SAT/ACT score reports and FAFSA student aid report
How to Apply:
Please visit Asia Pacific Fund at www.asiapacificfund.org and the Maria Elena Yuchengco Memorial Journalism Scholarship
Deadline: Every February
School Year: Deadline Date
- 2014-2015: 2/20/14